With ski instructor parents, Martin started skiing at the age of two. Living in the Jura Mountains, he is qualified as a Moutain Leader and Cross Country Ski Instructor and is passionate about nature, landscapes and cooking. He is a formidable cross country skier with experience in races such as the Trans Jurassienne, Foulée Blanche, Etoile de Saisies, GTJ 200 and Patrouille des Glaciers. He particularly enjoys long distance cross country ski races, having finished three times on the podium of the longest cross country ski race in the world (Grande Traversée du Jura 200km).
An ex-soldier and policeman based in Bristol, Marty has had a glittering career in the field of Nordic skiing and has represented Great Britain at the following events :
- Team GBR 1981 World Biathlon Championship, Lahti Finland
- Team GBR 1984 Winter Olympics Sarajevo
- Team GBR 1985 Nordic Ski World Championships Seefeld, Austria
- Team GBR 1987 Nordic Ski World Championships, Oberstdorf, Germany
- Team GBR 1988 Winter Olympics Calgary, Canada
Marty is the Club Chairman and Captain of the Wessex Biathlon and Nordic Ski Club and is a Snowsports England Level 3 Coach for Cross country and Roller skiing.